Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone use a 120' qso king?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone use a 120' qso king?
From: Herbert Schonbohm <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 12:44:18 -0400
Some would argue that putting ground rods at the end of radials doesn't really help. In most cases you can do well, perhaps better with #12 or #14 THHN insulated wire laying on the ground. You will only then need about 90-100 feet for each radial due to the velocity factor of the wire itself. If you run out of space due to your lot size you can run the ends at right angles. It is important that the ends are not grounded. IMHO what you are trying to do is cause the ground system currents to travel in those wires rather than being dissipated in the earth thus improving the system efficiency. You can pin the wires down with large galvanized nails, , pounded into the ground after a single turn around them. (U clips are also available by the hundred lot from DX-Engineering) Normally after two weeks the sod will cover them and they will be invisible and allow the lawn mower to pass over without a snag.

73,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ