Re: [TowerTalk] Effect of ground radials

To: <john@kk9a.com>, "TT TowerTalk" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Effect of ground radials
From: GARY HUBER <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 22:01:35 -0600
John, one may be able to model a vertical and ground system, but the proof is in how it plays (or works) and that may be impacted more by soil and local conditions which are not modeled.

Case in point; I have been using a ground mounted Butternut HF-2V or Bencher HF-2V usually with the 160 meter mod kit and umbrella style top loading ( four 12 foot pieces of copper wire and string or weed trimmer line to guy the HF-2V) for over 25 years at this location. The vertical sits above a radial plate with twenty-four 66 foot radials laid on top of the grass (cut short) and pinned down. The undisturbed soil is the black bottom muck of a glacial moraine pond / lake some three feet deep over water bearing clay. About half of the radial field is over the household septic leach field which provides additional soil moisture from well water drawn from the Mahomet aquifer.

I have had to repair and rebuild the HF-2V numerous times as the result of damage from lawn tractors and deer. I've replaced it with a completely new HF-2V at least once. The reason? Because it works so well; Wake, Baker, Campbell, Peter 1 and many others worked, confirmed, and verified on 160, 80, and 40. Are the radials driving the vertical performance of plus or minus 3 dB or is it soil conductivity or an organic reflector? Or is it something else?

One other thought is what kind of vertical are you using versus the model. The HF-2V uses the entire vertical length (as the result of loading coils) and bottom feed, whereas other antennas use traps to achieve resonance and may be using elevated feed point.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

-----Original Message----- From: john@kk9a.com