Re: [TowerTalk] Amphenol website

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Amphenol website
From: Chuck Smallhouse <w7cs@theriver.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 16:17:38 -0700
Hi Guys/Gals,

Be careful of the so called "solderless" connectors, and those purchased from off shore.

I have a good friend who was extolling the virtues (& price) of these and had installed them on his phasing lines and HB power divider (chassis mt type Ns), for his 2M array. He took this into the field to make some MS contacts, from rare grids.

After installing the system (this was not his first field trip with it) he experienced a high VSWR, and after much trouble shooting and advice from his accompanying buddies, they discovered that the center pins, in not only the coax cable connectors were not secured in place, but even the chassis mount connector center pins were loose and movable. IOW the male (& female) center pins tended to pull way from the main connector.

I have seen this happen before, when due to temperature changes, the center conductor of some RG-8 size coax types, try to expand/contract and pull away non captivated center pins. Therefore only utilize those connectors that have their center pins fully captivated. I also advise to solder them, even when using a crimping tool for the shield connections.

GL es 73,

Chuck,  W7CS