Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Tower regulations for home brew towers in the US?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Tower regulations for home brew towers in the US?
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 00:47:47 -0500
On 2/21/2014 2:00 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
On 2/21/14 9:36 AM, David Robbins wrote:
Nothing special here, in mass ham towers are exempt from most zoning
restrictions. In my rural town they have never required a building permit
for a tower, but did for a solar panel array.

Solar arrays are new enough that they're unfamiliar and have a lot of special issues (firefighter safety.. they're always generating power, even on cloudy days).

Our township put in a moratorium on solar arrays after one was put in that was blinding to the neighbors. If the panels are properly aligned in a fixed orientation the reflection would only happen for a few minutes, for a few days. If the track the sun accurately in asmuth and elevation, they should not be a problem at all.

Often a single, poorly planned and implemented system can cause problems for legit systems later on.

It's always for a tracking failure to cause problems, but those problems seldom last long

73

Roger (K8RI)