[TowerTalk] Mast Wall Thickness

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast Wall Thickness
From: Chris Pinholster <k4win@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 12:39:33 -0500
I have been researching tower mast material. Both aluminum and steel.

If aluminum 60601 tubing with 2"OD and .125 wall fails at 35000 ps, what
happens when you increase wall thickness?

If you increase the thickness of the mast wall, wouldn't that increase make a
difference in the bend or failure rating?
The charts at the metal company I visited seemed to indicate that would be
true. (I was looking at aluminum 2"OD and 1.5"ID)

Also I ran across a chart that showed that using a 14 ft mast, with 4 ft inside
the tower and 10 ft above was stronger than an 11 ft mast with only 1ft inside
the tower and 10 ft above.

Any opinion or science from this learned group?

CHRIS PINHOLSTER
k4win@mac.com