[TowerTalk] LMR 400 Response from DAVIS RF

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] LMR 400 Response from DAVIS RF
From: Stephen Davis <sdavis@davisrf.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 13:17:15 -0400
Wayne, hi, you are correct that there are many LMR 400 knock offs and almost
all are made in China, thus the lower price.  We do not sell anything MI China
due to the fact that tolerances acceptable by us and astute USA product buyers
are not acceptable on a lot of various China made products.  Albeit, even
Commscope (Andrew Heliax is part of Commscope)  have cables made in China, as
does Times, but in both of those cases those mfrs are quite on top of quality
control.

9913:  Yes, been a lot of problems with it.   Not to be confused with 9913F7, a
totally different build, no problems.  9913F7 is very flexible, equal to LMR
400 UF  (Ultra flex) in all ways (equal low loss, & flex)  but it will last
longer than 400 UF due to a completely different type of polymer outer jacket.
I recommend 9913F7 vs. LMR 400 UF, and slightly less expensive but longer life.

Back to LMR 400:   We have produced  a cable that is equal to LMR 400 and it is
made in USA.  It is our DRF 400.  Contact me if you would like more info.

Jim,  thank you for mentioning the merits of Bury-Flex Tm, which has been an
extremely popular product now sold by almost all the dealers  (HRO, AES,
Universal, etc).
For HF to UHF use, it has the same low loss as LMR 400  and is more flexible
than LMR 400 (Bury-Flex Tm has a 19 strand center conductor for flexibility
whereas LMR 400 is a solid center conductor, yet Bury- Flex Tm has excellent
low loss specs due to an excellent gas injected dielectric). I am the designer
of Bury-Flex Tm which is also used by Lockheed Martin, NASA, and many others.

  Wayne might not need Bury Flex Tm unless he needs more flexibility than LMR
400.  Otherwise our DRF 400 (LMR 400 equal) would suffice.

Bottom line:  Personally I would never buy any knockoff made in China.  Yes,
you can save some bucks, but you wish you hadn't if/when it starts to go sour
and/or in the middle of a contest or trying to work that rare DX.

73, Steve  K1PEK
Senior RF Cable Design Engr. & Founder
DAVIS RF Co.