Re: [TowerTalk] Worm gear winch

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Worm gear winch
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 16:29:39 -0400
On 4/4/2014 3:00 PM, Mike Reublin NF4L wrote:
I bought a Fulton KW3000, and I think it's a true worm gear drive. It has a
51:1 ratio. I plan to use it to raise my fold over tower. I'm powering it with
a wheelchair motor.

It is a well constructed winch, but look at the large gear. It's a shallow spur gear, not a worm gear wheel.

Technically it is a worm gear drive but all worm gear drives I've seen the teeth were cut at an angle to match the worm for the best strength, durability and smooth operation.

In addition many, but not all worm gear wheels are cut to match the radius of the worm, so it sets down into the wheel. Using a spur gear reduces the contact between the two gears to a small point that has to bear all the load This can increase wear and friction compared to a larger, smooth, well lubricated surface.

The first photo on http://www.rogerhalstead.com/Gears.htm shows a worm gear wheel (Ignore the dirt). Note the angle at which the teeth are cut. This one also has the radius cut to match the worm. A large portion of the face on each tooth bears the load/contact area.

73

Roger (K8RI)

In one of the views here
http://www.etrailer.com/Winches/Fulton/FKW30000103.html you can see the gears.