Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Tuner

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Tuner
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 13:33:28 -0400
"But the antenna tuner does not change the feedpoint impedance of the
antenna which in my view would be actually "tuning" the antenna."

All goods points and it's helpful to set definitions before engaging into a complex discussion like this. W2DU used the term "'tuning" to establish system reactance cancellation (X = 0), the end result being resonance. If the tuner is adjusted for complete antenna system reactance cancellation, the net effect is as if the antenna is resonant when by itself, it isn't. Because of the wave mechanics involved, it's an appropriate term. Maxwell used the term "matching" to establish both reactance cancellation and a target resistance value -- for most of our purposes, it's 50-ohms (50 +j0). So, tuner adjustment results in effectively adjusting the antenna to resonance. By adjusting the tuner's controls, we can make a resonant antenna when it wasn't before. However, tuner adjustment does not result in matching the Z between antenna and line. With modest care taken to avoid impedance extremes -- and tuner loss as a result of an extreme Z at the tuner terminals (almost always because of a very low Z), then it doesn't matter.

Most of us would probably say that a commercially-made 5/8-wave or 1/2-wave mag-mounted 2m antenna is a "resonant antenna." It's resonant because there's a small matching section in the base that results in an input Z of 50+j0, or close to it. The 2m steel whip is nowhere near resonant at the operating frequency for either mag type. But we made it that way by placing a tuner in the base although there's no appreciable transmission line between the whip and base network. With an HF dipole and transmission line with a tuner some distance from the antenna, we're doing the same thing -- just more carefully to manage loss. Like the base network that tuned the whip into resonance, the tuner used with an HF dipole is doing the same by "tuning" it into a resonant antenna.

Paul, W9AC