[TowerTalk] Antenna Tuner

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Tuner
From: "Wilson" <infomet@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 00:25:39 -0400
WOW, always brings out a lot of opinions, expert and otherwise.
Did you ever play with a jumprope?
You tie one end to a tree and apply very small circular input to the other,
with your hand, to get the great half wave response that people can run into
and jump.
What if you were quite tall, with long arms.  Can you imagine standing in the
middle of the rope and grabbing it as it goes around.
Sure you could, but you’d have to jump too.
Now what if you cut the rope?  You wouldn’t have to jump and the part tied to
the tree would keep going just as before.
Isn’t this like changing between voltage and current nodes?
Sure, it doesn’t say much about reactance, but it does give some insight to
matching excitation to antenna characteristics.
Wires don’t know if they are resonant or not.  If you can put power into them
(by matching their impedance to your transmitter), they will radiate.
Foot 100 doesn’t know about anything except what it’s being given by foot 99.
Their usefulness depends upon all the factors we know:  length, height,
orientation, surroundings (including ground characteristics), etc.
Someone just called “hot peppers”, or was it “hot potato”?  Guess I better get
jumping!
73,
WL
W4BOH