[TowerTalk] Crank up mast help needed

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crank up mast help needed
From: "Jim Pruitt" <wa7duy@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 21:15:37 -0700
I am hoping that someones can help me. I recently committed to buy a crank up mast that is being sold by the daughter of a silent key. The mast looks like about 60ft with 3 sections 20ft or so tall. I could not see the third section but the second section cranked up with a sawtooth metal strip like used on drill presses to raise and lower them. The mast looked well made and thicker pipe so probably commercial but I saw no label. Also the crank is missing. It went on a square shaft but did not measure it but was probably 1/2" or 3/4" square.

Anyone have any idea what I can use to crank it down or where I could get a crank to fit it?

Can any ones tell me how to lower this mast to the ground safely and tip it over? It currently has a small rotor on top (Ham M or Ham 4 style) and a 3 element beam that looked like either 6 meters or 10 meters. I would guess that it is at about the 45ft level or so.

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY