Re: [TowerTalk] Sluggish crank-up tower

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sluggish crank-up tower
From: Ray Benny <rayn6vr@cableone.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 10:40:58 -0700
Rick,

The pulley bearings do seize up at over time depending on WX and your
environment, especially if the tower is left in one position for a long
time.

Tashjian Towers did sell replacement pulleys at one time. US Towers may
too. You'll have to call.

Like you say, you may have more than one bad pulley, just check them all.
If the pulleys/bearings do not move smoothly, replace them. The real old
Tristao and Triex towers used Fafnir K8 bearings that could be pressed out
and replaced. These bearings are very hard to find now. Don't know what
bearings the tower companies now use.

73 & GL,

Ray,
N6VR