Re: [TowerTalk] Sluggish crank-up tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sluggish crank-up tower
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 09:33:57 -0400
On 6/20/2014 6:09 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
On 6/20/2014 9:10 AM, Rick Stealey wrote:

Ok, so my next theory is a pulley is jammed,
Rick  K2XT

I would choose PB Blaster which works far better than WD40, Has some lubricating properties and is not primarily made of easily and fast evaporating solvents. I purchase WD40 by the gallon, but for serious work still get PB Blaster in spray cans. The little tube will put it where you want it. It loosens things WD40 can't touch and leaves a lubricating film.\ The only drawback is it smells. It's not an unpleasant smell, but difficult to get out of clothes.
The name is strange, but Mouse Milk is also far superior to WD40.
Even a shot of LPS-2 (contains a grease that is left after the solvents evaporate) after using LPS-1 or PB Blaster works well.

In the shop I use water soluble cutting fluids along with PB Blaster

It's just WD40 is the most common and what the DIY groups use, but there are many compounds that work far better without the advertizing.

73

Roger (K8RI)

The pulley bearings do freeze up regardless of
anything the mfr. says.  Spray with WD40 until
you can spin them by hand then apply lubricating
oil.  Inspect all pulley's as part of a general
refurbishing.

Rick N6RK