[TowerTalk] Sluggish crank-up tower and tips for others

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Sluggish crank-up tower and tips for others
From: Rick Stealey <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 14:21:42 +0000
There have been several great responses to my call for advice yesterday.
Thanks to each of you.
Seems like the consensus is to clean the bearings on the 5 pulleys with
something better than WD40, and to lube the bearings with a grease applied with
a needle applicator.
Others have had short term success with oil, but I will try the grease process
as I want the pulleys to hold up for several years if possible.  It will
require drilling small holes to allow the grease to be pumped in, so we'll see
how it goes.

So in the spirit of helping each other, I will now offer a little advice to
others who have a US Tower that is still moving up and down.  These are things
I learned in my maintenance efforts this year.
1. Find a way to cover your motor, even if it is just a garbage bag to keep the
rain off of it.  That motor was not designed to be mounted upside down with the
starter capacitor on the bottom.  The capacitor cover WILL rust out.  Who was
the genius who did THAT?
2. Spray all your bolts with Rustoleum.  They WILL rust.
3. You know that eye bolt thing on the bottom of your smallest section, where
the winch cable ends up?  To adjust that when replacing winch cables you need
small tools and you can't move them easily.  GREASE those threads now, before
they rust, and simply put a piece of 1 inch pvc pipe over it to keep rain off.
You'll be glad you did because if it is rusted it will take you one hour, lying
in the mud on your side to get it loosened  up.
4. A set of winch cables for the TX472 costs $300 from UST.  There is a grand
total of $28 worth of material in a set (3/16 wire rope, thimbles, and swages).
 You can buy enough to do two sets yourself, including buying a swaging tool
for 1/2 that amount.
5. Getting the pulleys out can be a pain, because Murphy will have the section
cross-arms blocking the head of the bolt where you want to use the Allen
wrench.  You will have to move the tower sections a bit with a crowbar.  The
only solution to that is to say as many bad words as you want, as loud as you
want, to the engineer who designed them.

Rick  K2XT