Re: [TowerTalk] Over heated cores

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Over heated cores
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 00:54:33 -0400
On 7/1/2014 8:25 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
I have several 2.4" OD cored. Will overheating cause their properties to change after they cool down I have 2 out of an AV640 that now have a dull surface. I have quite a few new ones, so replacing them is not a problem, but at near $5 each I'd like to save them if they are any good. The material is nor cracked/fractured.

I have no way of knowing how hot these were other than the cores now have a dull gray finish instead of the polished look. I and Hy-gain don't think, at the legal limit (SSB & CW) hardly warmed them up. 800W on 6. I know that's higher than the official figures on 6, but the consensus was that should not have hurt them, so I can only assume it was lightening. OTOH there are no external marks on the antenna indicating lightening other than the plastic caps on the tuning stubs on that antenna do show signs of strong corona. None of the other two that have been up show like signs.

73,

Roger (K8RI)

73

Roger (K8RI)