Re: [TowerTalk] T2X Tail Twister rotator freezes in place below 32 degre

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] T2X Tail Twister rotator freezes in place below 32 degrees ?
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 18:25:50 -0400
On 7/21/2014 12:31 PM, Gary Marks wrote:

I've never seen any seals in a Tail Twister (they depend only on the position to keep water out., nor any terminal strips (They have a pigtail with an in-line connector. Possibly some of the early ones had them though. Some of the old grease gets hard with age.

I use white Lithium grease in the races. Gears are just stamped flat steel.
Condensation and old grease could freeze up.

73

Roger (K8RI)

My Tail Twister rotator freezes below 32 degrees but this rotator has been up
for 30-years and it just started freezing in place last Winter. The parts
breakdown does not show a seal that could be leaking due to wear and age. I do
not know if there is a moisture drain hole in the housing of this rotator that
could get plugged.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be ? I can't be the first to
experience this problem and yes I did check the archives.

THANKS ahead of time for your help.

Roger (K8RI)

---
is active.