Re: [TowerTalk] PowerPole connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PowerPole connectors
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 15:43:54 -0800
On 11/17/14, 3:25 PM, Bill Turner wrote:

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 15:31:59 -0600, Kelly wrote:

DX Engineering is selling Powerpoles for $12.95 for a pack of 20.
Price is hardly a deal-breaker.
73, kellyve4xt

REPLY:

That particular connector is not too expensive, but some others are.
About a year or so ago I went looking for a splitter type PowerPole
for my K3 and it was about $20 for a single one.

Yes, but that's a specialized adapter. Think of it as a custom cable with 3 connectors and you're paying for the fabrication of the cable, not the raw connector cost. If you were paying for labor, on a one-off, giving someone a sketch of what you wanted, you *might* be able to get it done for $5-10 in labor (depending on labor overheads, etc.). I'll bet it costs a lot less if you're a PowerWerx and assembling dozens at a crack.

It is true that a "multi-way" connector is easier to do with ringlugs (depending on how much clearance you have and how big your barrier strip is, etc. I've stacked 3 lugs on one screw, but that's about the limit).

My usual expedient multiway PP solution is to take 2 short PP jumpers (I have a lot of 2 foot PP jumpers around), cut them in half, and use wirenuts to join the 4 reds and 4 blacks. That gives me a 1:3 breakout.