Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Bulkhead feed-through.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Bulkhead feed-through.
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 05:14:03 -0500
On 11/21/2014 10:40 AM, Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk wrote:

Mine is similar, yet different.
The cables go through bulkhead connectors in a NEMA box mounted on the plate for the house and similar foe the shop. In the shop the coax continues on through large EMT conduit onto a 10 X 10 X 4" NEMA box,there is a matching NEMA box inside the4 shop. The conduit through the wall is filled with expandable foam after the coax was pulled in. The face plate on the inside has two rows of bulkhead connectors. http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/boat12.htm shows the bulkhead connectors above the rigs as well as a second run of EMT up and to the W end of the shop.

There have been major changes in the station since this photo was taken.

73

Roger (K8RI)

No Ron, it's worse. I have a square opening in the wall of my shack that is
covered with a metal plate. There are holes in the plate that hold the bulkhead
feed-troughs.

My idea was to have easy access to the various feeders that goes up the tower.
I plug in the coax from the trx whatever antenna I need for the moment. All the
connectors are open to the air in the shack. I thought it was an excellent idea
but realize now that it might not have been that excellent after all.

As the plate has no insulation it will get cold in the winter and I will have
condensation on it AND the connectors. If (I am sure it will) the condensation
goes through the connectors I will also have water on the outside with
following corrosion. :( As the connectors are sealed, the water will have no
way to get out.

Maybe I should remove the seals on the outside to reduce the risk of corrosion.

Hans - N2JFS