Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Adding 160 to an 80M dipole?

To: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Adding 160 to an 80M dipole?
From: Ken <wa8jxm@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 23:46:02 -0500
I agree with Bill, that’s what I’ve done.

160m antennas have changed over the years.  It used to be that many of us just
tied our HF coax together and fed it against ground and were happy to work a
few hundred miles.   Nowadays, 160 has many people with full sized quarter wave
verticals or even phased arrays of same.   It all depends on your interest and
real estate.

There is nothing wrong with “cloud warmers”, many of us are happy to warm the
clouds while have short to medium range contacts.  Others only want rare DX.

I have three antennas for 160, an inverted L, a 600’ loop and the 80/160m
inverted vee.   The inverted vee is probably the best of the bunch with the
loop second.

While it is true that low horizontal antennas do poorly, so do low vertical
antenna, they have high ground losses.

Ken, WA8JXM