Re: [TowerTalk] : Nube rebar question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] : Nube rebar question
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 03:04:58 -0500
On 12/17/2014 11:49 AM, Kelly Taylor wrote:

The pier pin base allows the tower to "pivot and rotate." It basically removes the torsion forces and bending moment from the tower although they are not a problem worth considering in "MOST" ham installations as the towers are more than capable of handling the torque. Big antennas and stacks are something else.

Among the advantages of the pier pin are no worries about water freezing in the base, Stress is reduced on the tower joints and bolt holes, easy to take the tower down, or swap towers. Star guying is recommended though.

They do require a little more care up to the first set of permanent guys. However all towers should be subjected to the same care.

73

Roger  (K8RI)

The roof mounting plate, as described, seems to solve a few issues relative
to embedding tower sections or base tubes in concrete ‹ helps prevent water
intrusion into the base, permits re-use of base for other towers, etc. ‹ but
leaves one issue unresolved. At least, it does if I'm reading the
description correctly.

The OP mentioned he uses threaded rod to keep the base from twisting, but
wouldn't you WANT some twisting at the base? Isn't that the rationale behind
using a pier pin instead of any kind of fixed base? In other words,
torsional forces reaching the base of the tower result in nothing more than
slight rotation around the pin rather than becoming a source of fatigue
failure in the legs?

Did I miss something in 20 years of towertalking?

73, kelly
ve4xt

On 12/17/14 10:28 AM, "K7LXC--- via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>