Re: [TowerTalk] Cheapskates

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cheapskates
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 23:26:28 -0500

Today's rigs give the "operator" more control over their signal than at any time in history. IOW they give the opperator almost limitless ways to turn a great sounding signal into something brown and smelly. Most of us do not have the equipment to take advantage of a fraction of these abilities properly. This leaves the "big rigs" a mass of buttons and knobs, while the smaller ones end up with menus 3 layers deep with results depending on which way you go through those menus. We now have rigs that require you have the "well studied" manual at hand, to get on the air.

It's only recently that solid state finals have even "approached" the signal quality produced by a pair of old 6146As in a 32S3 or KWM-2, yes all this ability has reduced that gain into a loss at the hands of many hams.

Receivers have reached the area where dynamic range, bandwidth, and sensitivity are well past the limits of useful practicality and are bragging rights only. What do we gain with a receiver sensitivity that's a full order of magnitude (or two) greater than the band noise? What do we gain by having steep sided 2.8 KHz selectivity where off frequency signals are over 100 db down when those signals 5 KHz to the side have 20 over signals "IN" your pass band due to IM products only 30 db down?

Evey once in a while I run into someone complaining about their new rig not handling the QRM from the side and unable to understand that it's the transmitted signals fault and not their receiver's. The problem is that if all new rigs had IM products at least 60 db down, it'd be decades before much difference would be noticed because of the sheer number of rigs "out there" that put out poor quality signals. Still, that's where the change is needed.

Antennas have made incremental gains with the only major change being antennas that can tune themselves across a range of frequencies. Still, these are subject to mechanical failure as well as lightening induced failures and ALL antennas are a number of compromises.

Multi-element antennas produce gain by radiating a signal from one element and inducing a current in a "parasitic" element that is either in phase or out of phase with the driven element. The length and spacing of the parasitic element to the driven element determines whether the parasitic element is a reflector, or director. You can also have multiple driven elements.

Methods of driving and loading elements have been developed, but a parasitic array is a parasitic array with efficiency depending pretty much on the matching network and the relative size of the antenna, so very little has actually happened in antenna design. Some cover more band width than others, some have a more elegant matching system, and some tune themselves. Some hams use multi antenna arrays and stacks with diversity reception so they use the best antenna at the time for the desired contact. Other than that, what's really changed?

73

Roger (K8RI)