Re: [TowerTalk] RF Ground is not a Myth

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RF Ground is not a Myth
From: Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@me.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 18:54:42 -0800
Adding a bit to K9YC’s discussion, a ground plane, or any “ground” in a piece
of equipment may indeed be at 0 volts as far as DC power is concerned, but it
is also an excellent carrier for other signals. It is very common for RF to be
conducted on that ground plane, and even emitted to the surroundings. I had a
problem once at a large radio commercial vendor I worked for where the 250th
harmonic of a 7 MHz microcontroller oscillator was deceasing the receiver - the
rf was being conducted specifically on the ground plane trace of the radio,
along with DC and a few other signals. The discovery astounded many excellent
RF engineers, and reminded us of the premise of this discussion, at RF, there
is no such thing as ground.

- Jack B, W6FB