Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G tower permitting

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G tower permitting
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2015 16:21:33 -0600
Once upon a time, when I was serving in the US Coast Guard Aux, I taught marlinspike seamanship (AMONG OTHER TOPICS) in public education classes. I have seen some pretty creative knots topologically close to "real" knots with the difference being in their removal. Real knots after being under a strain might require a good marlinspike and mallet to untie but often the "close but no cigar" almost knots required a specialized removal tool we "in the know members of the marlinspike brotherhood (secret handshake level 2 and above)" also called a sharp knife. Notice the similarity? Knot Knife, coincidence?

If you never learn any other knot at least learn the bowline as it is just so handy and can be removed after being under a significant strain. Cowboy bowline as used on a lariat, or sailor bowline, either is terrific just slightly different (innie versus outie.)

Patrick  NJ5G