Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Beverage Antenna

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Beverage Antenna
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 14:11:22 -0800
I did a quick EZNEC Pro/4 analysis of a Beverage over a 3 strand barb wire fence, strands at 4,3,2' and antenna at 10'. I've had one that sorta worked, now I know why.

600' of fence under 600' of antenna yields a substantially degraded F/B (what I experienced).

2400' of fence under 600' of antenna yields a substantially vertical pattern

Insulator breaks of the 600' of the 3 strands every 200' yielded a 1.8Mhz pattern almost the same as no fence. Adding a single strand of continuous single fence out 600 to 1200' past both ends of the Beverage had minimal pattern change. At 3.5 and 7 Mhz the pattern looses a bit of F/B but is tolerable IMO.

So for a few insulators, a Beverage works over a barb wire fence. Porcelain eggs would probably be the best bet for the strength needed.

Chain link and welded mesh fences are best avoided unless it is worth the work to insulate sections.

Grant KZ1W

Pat,

8 to 10 feet above the barbed wire fence would be your only chance if
you are to use the existing fence lines.  I would strongly suggest
reading some (all) of the references you have been offered -
particularly those that include long term experiments.

My information has simply been gathered from the reports of others over
nearly 40 years and confirmed by the performance of the few simple
Beverages I've been fortunate enough to use at various times.

The general consensus has been not to use a "ground wire" under a
Beverage or run it along above/parallel to a conductive wire fence.
Maintain at least 45 degrees and try, if at all possible, to cross
other antennas/conductive objects at right angles.

snip...