Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna
From: "Don " <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 13:34:32 -0800
Don't jump on me Jim, I have a pile of information I've accumulated and read about Beverages (but didn't have KITTT's Canadian government study, thanks Dave).

Up to now (not having read the Canadian document fully yet), I couldn't/didn't find a published scientific study where variables such as height and length for low HF Beverages were conducted under a set of standard conditions (maybe it is in the report Dave passed along - which will take some reading).

You are also quite correct that I have not looked in every technical journal, there are so many not on line or that I don't have access to. I also don't have the ON4UN book (sounds like a good purchase to make) and my ARRL Antenna Manual is dated and its coverage of Beverages still didn't answer my questions.

I'm impressed you have 'done that study, or done that modeling, or built those antennas . . . ' I also have built a heck of a lot of antennas in the 60 years I've been hamming. BUT, I have never built or used a Beverage nor had a 'real' 160M setup which I'd like to rectify in the dwindling years left.

I've learned a lot from the discussions here on the subject, one being that there is often a difference of opinion on many of the issues that have been posted, which is quite helpful, allowing one to see more sides to an issue. I thank all of those who have put forth their experiences and thoughts and beliefs.

And Jim, while I didn't ask about the use of Beverage's on bands other than 160 M, thanks for the comments. And I understand VE7RF's comments.

I am concerned that, since I have never used a Beverage, built a Beverage, and only recently began pulling together articles and reports about them before reading the recent posts on Towertalk, that you feel I shouldn't ask questions unless I am fully versed in the topic. The reason for the questions is I am NOT fully versed. I don't know a better way to learn than ask questions. but apparently you feel otherwise.

I apologize to you for apparently wasting your time and shall just become a passive reader.

Don W7WLL

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Brown