Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: SteppIR

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: SteppIR
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 23:12:03 -0800
On Sat,2/28/2015 2:04 PM, Kim Elmore wrote:
Several have mentioned potential failure points for the SteppIR antennas. I
haven't heard about many failures. In fact, I can't think of any. There are a
fair number in us by now. How often are failures encountered?

My 3-el SteppIR -- 20M - 6M, no trombones -- has been up for 4-5 seasons (I lose track). I've had a few failures of the SYSTEM, all my fault. Nothing I can blame on SteppIR. I'd buy it again, and I've recommended it to friends.

I just had a failure in the system that I think I have isolated to a bad coax connector. In the process of troubleshooting it, I managed to blow up the controller. My fault. I tried to fix it, SteppIR was supportive, but I failed, and sent it to them. It was returned fixed in 9 days. As a former service manager for a sound company, I felt the billing was fair.

On the other side of things, my neighbor has a 3-el with trombones. It arrived with failures of all three motor assemblies (he's a mechanical engineer, he knows). It took SteppIR a LOOOOONG time to fix his stuff, and it was under warranty. That was a couple of years ago, and K7IR stepped in to ride heard and fix those issues. From my experience, I'd say that he has.

73, Jim K9YC