Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: [Bulk] Re: Fwd: Aluminum towers -- can you really "

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: [Bulk] Re: Fwd: Aluminum towers -- can you really "walk one up"?
From: Michael OBrien <k0myw@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 11:58:58 -0700
I've been watching this thread, waiting for someone to mention that the
"falling derrick" method is routinely used by sailors when stepping
(installing) masts.

It's not nearly as scary as it might seem. With a bit of forethought and
preparation, and a couple of helpers to man temporary guide lines (or guys that
will remain) to keep the mast or tower from leaning to one side or the other
while going up, it's a remarkably effective technique.

I have a UST HDX-555 with the factory erection fixture, so I don't need to do
it with my ham tower. But I've used the "falling derrick" method of putting a
30- or 40-foot sailboat mast up or down many times.

If you're near a body of water that supports sailing, you might find willing
helpers among the sailors...

Mike, K0MYW