Re: [TowerTalk] 80 mts four square or yagi?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 mts four square or yagi?
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 16:27:09 -0600
If you can't go the full 4 sq route wouldn't an endfire with switching to broadside be a close 2nd?

Mike W0MU

On 3/9/2015 1:28 PM, Stan Stockton wrote:
Jorge,

If your wire Yagi is not flat ( in other words inverted V type elements) it
will not work as well as it would if flat.  There would be a significant
difference between the whole thing being flat at 115 feet and the center of the
elements at 115 feet and the ends at 80 feet, for example.

A few years ago I put up four wire elements for 80m with the center of the
elements at 130 feet and with effective boom length of about 110 feet.  The
ropes holding the ends were going out quite far - about 250 feet or so.  The
antenna was, without question, better than my four square (60 radials each
vertical) from Arkansas to Europe.  It was just more trouble than it was worth
to keep it up and the modeling showed that it had an effect on my 20m antenna.
It was hanging under the boom of the top 20m Yagi.

As has been discussed a 4 Square is hard to beat for simplicity, maintenance
and quick direction switching.  To achieve something that would be significant
you would perhaps want a 3 element Yagi that rotated at 150-200 feet.  Whether
the difference would be worth the expense and maintenance is questionable.  If
wire and time is not a problem, more than 60 radials and longer than 70 feet
would be good for the 4 Square performance.

73...Stan, K5GO

Sent from my iPad