Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV vs 40M dipole

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV vs 40M dipole
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 16:51:09 -0500
My neighbor, a fairly new ham and the only other ham in this zipcode uses two G5RV at right angles to each other in inverted V configurations with centers about a foot apart. He uses a coax switch in the shack to pick the best one for a particular contact. He runs 5 watts and works contacts all over the world. Sure, he works at it harder than I do but he makes easily 10 DX contacts for every one of mine. I run 100 W barefoot and up to a gallon with the linear on. I have a HyGain Hytower multi-band vertical and a 270 ft OCF dipole, Carolina Windom. The Hytower and Windom are fairly well matched with one favored over the other sometimes and the reverse at others. As I haven't installed the 160 kit on the Hytower yet I can't compare it to the 160 performance of the Windom. Except on 160 he racks up more DX than I do by a wide margin. He also has a homebrew hex beam that he doesn't like much as he claims it is just too noisy compared to the G5RV antennas.

There is nothing wrong with my antennas they just don't outperform his G5RV's with one set NS and the other EW when it comes to verified contacts. I may have some theoretical superiority but it doesn't show much.

Patrick