Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV vs 40M dipole

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV vs 40M dipole
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 21:46:50 -0700
On Mon,4/27/2015 1:56 PM, Bry Carling wrote:
Can you hear a difference of 1.2 dB on the other end?

If the signal is very weak, or at the edge of the noise, the answer is YES. It can be the difference between no copy and rough copy that's enough to make the QSO. AND -- there are many changes we can make to our antennas to get another dB or two. For heights below a half wavelength, 5 ft of added height on 40M, or 10 ft on 80M, is good for 0.9 dB.

That's about one fifth of an S unit.

While 6 dB is considered by most to be one S-unit, the 3-4 JA radios I've measured by cranking down a calibrated HP generator show that they're typically more like 2-3 dB per S-unit below about S6.

73, Jim K9YC