Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV vs 40M dipole

To: towertalk@contesting.com, jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] G5RV vs 40M dipole
From: "Bry Carling AF4K" <bcarling@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 06:41:21 -0400
On the transmit side, I can usually work anything I can hear by having a 1000
watt signal
versus a 100 watt signal. That more than makes up for the lost 1.2 dB from
using that terrible
G5RV.

Then on the receive side I can make up a lot by the  use of a modern NR system
and two
preamps to dig out weak signals, OR by having the alterbnative use of a
vertical versus a
horizontal antenna.

I am not worried about this theoretical 1.2 dB loss. When there are other more
important
factors such as a small lot, or aesthetic requirements, then for many of us a
G5RV can be
the best compromise.  I have the newer W8AMZ designed G5RV, which has glowing
reviews
and I am not at all worried about deplying it. After much study, I believe it
is the best solution
for my particular environment.

YMMV

73 de AF4K