Re: [TowerTalk] Commscope SFX-500 cnnectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Commscope SFX-500 cnnectors
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 18:36:39 -0700
On Sun,5/24/2015 5:55 PM, Steve Maki wrote:
Right, and then using a relatively inexpensive N to UHF adapter if you need to get to the UHF connector series.

Quality (Amphenol) N to UHF adapters are NOT inexpensive. The ones that ARE inexpensive are JUNK, and should be avoided. When I got back on the air around 2003 after a long absence, I filled my junkbox with these JUNK connectors, and soon lived to regret it. Over the next 3-5 years, I experienced at least six failures that were the result of those JUNK connectors.

Do yourself a favor -- don't buy no-name connectors. I'm talking about those pretty, shiny connectors sold at hamfests, and, sadly, by most vendors who advertise in QST and CQ. We must go to vendors like Allied, Newark, and DigiKey to get the real deal.

73, Jim K9YC