Re: [TowerTalk] Commscope SFX-500 cnnectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Commscope SFX-500 cnnectors
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 13:56:42 -0700
Hi Gerald,

You make a good point, BUT -- I've heard nightmare stories from good engineers sourcing products from Chinese sources, evaluating samples, and early shipments that looked great, worked great, tested really well, and then a few shipments later getting stuff that looked nothing like the original product, or that were unsatisfactory in important ways.

If you as a vendor are able to do that testing and guarantee that those products are first quality, and that they remain first quality, that's fine. But that's easier said than done -- how much incoming QC can you afford to do (or are you capable of)?

Like Roger, I've encountered Amphenol 83-1SPs that were short a thread. Not a lot, perhaps 1%. It didn't make me happy.

Until recently, W2VJN advertised Amphenol connectors on his relay boxes. When I ordered them, he said he no longer did, and was using another "good" connector. Because he used the chassis as signal return rather than a continuous ground layer on the PC board, Because the VSWR got nasty above about 15M and I wanted to route my SteppIR through 2x1 box, I had to modify the 2x1 boxes to provide that path to clean up the VSWR. That meant I had to add braid from the shield ring to the PC board, and braid following the signal path. When I did that, I could no longer tighten down the connectors well, and they spun when I tightened the coax.

I've modified one of those boxes to replace the connectors with the 4-hole flange connectors. It was a lot of work. So was fixing the circuit layout issue.

73, Jim K9YC