Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: sealing PL259's

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: sealing PL259's
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 19:53:42 -0400
Use a thin sheet of Silicone rubber in a "U" shape inside the pliers to protect the connectors. It works for me, but I'm often too impatient to worry about a cheap PL-259 (Even Silver plated Amphenols are cheap) BNCs are basically miniature N connectors, bur they lose a lot to scale and are very weak. I've never seen them used outdoors. It tales little strength to pull the coax out of one, making them an interconnect only for me.

N are stronger, but not as strong as a properly soldered UHF connector. They weather proof, but don't ignore the Coax seal and tape. The last "clamp" N Type I used, ended up with a dose of epoxy in the braid seal (the weak spot for strength) making them a one use only connector. Not quite as good as oil filter wrenches but I've never seen one of those wrenches that small.

Some one mentioned using CRIMP connectors and I agree. Crimp connectors for UHF and N-Type eliminate most of the strength problems. I've been using them since I first found out about them and the crimpers were expensive. I have crimpers with die sets from RG58 to LMR-400 and a set of dedicated for the larger LMR-600. I have cable prep tools as well.Score the jacket deep enough so a little side pressure will snap it off. Adjusting the blades to cut the jacket off is likely to nick the shield wires. When using prep tools (strippers) for cables with rubber like jackets such as the UF versions of the Times wire cables, use a "thin coat of silicone grease on the jacket where the solid surfaces of the prep tool will ride. They will keep the tool from grabbing the jacket and causing it to bunch up and sometimes tear. Silicone grease is one of those double edged swords with little difference between just enough and too much. I can not emphasize the admotion, Do not get Silicone grease, even a tiny film, where you do not want it. Nothing will stick to anything that has Silicones on it

NOTE: A warning about prep tools. A "properly" adjusted one is great, but they can be a real PITA to get set up. When working with multiple makes and sizes of coax which makes for a number of prep tools, I prefer to set a prep tool up for a specific coax and mark it. I do the same for each cable size and jacket. It may take 4 or 5 "test" trials to get one of the three blade units set up properly. Coax with foil and a fine Al braid is an exceptional PITA. Those Al wires are very fragile.

Although I see a lot of comments on sealing the threads on UHF connectors, the major leaks come from where the jacket enters the connector. The jacket needs to extend into the connector as far as is practical and be sealed.

As others have said, the UHF connectors were not designed to be waterproof and as such leak like a sieve at the threads and where the coax enters the connector. I believe Jim mentioned, packing the connector with Silicone grease which eliminates the need for goop on the threads. Filled with grease, the threads will receive a healthy dose of grease when the connectors are screwed together.

73

Roger (K8RI)