Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Build

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Build
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 03:00:41 -0400
From what I've seen the tilt plate just "lets" the antenna stay horizontal. I hope I can use one because we were unable to install the tower in the desired location due to a 4" tile that filled the hole about as fast as the guys could climb out. "I think the current location will still let me use a tilt plate.

Yes you can belt onto a step ladder, but that means the ladder will fall on top of you.
You should see me changing all 22 8' lights in the shop.

73

Roger (K8RI)

On 7/3/2015 12:24 AM, Big Don wrote:
On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 8:33 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net
wrote:
[-SNIP-]
A crank up and fold over for a given height and antenna wind area, is
larger, much heavier has a lot of moving parts and requires one humongous
chunk of concrete for a base compared to a guyed tower. However the XYL
might prefer the expense to having guy anchors around the yard.
73 Roger  (K8RI)

Note on safety for tilt-over configs, unless you have one of those setups
that continuously holds the beam plane horizontal, as the tower is tilted
over, there are still plenty of access problems to deal with. There are
numerous pix in ham mags, and in YouTubes, showing hams precariously on
*stepladders*, with zero fall protection, working on their 'accessible'
antennas. You can't belt onto a stepladder....
Don  N7EF