Re: [TowerTalk] Experience with M2 Orion 3800 Rotator and Rohn TB-4 Thru

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Experience with M2 Orion 3800 Rotator and Rohn TB-4 Thrust Bearnings
From: Tom_N2SR via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 13:22:42 +0000 (UTC)
I am using an M2 Orion 2800 to turn a Force 12 240N Magnum, which is 10 feet
above the top of the tower, on a2" chrome molly mast.  There was also a TH7 at
the top of the tower, which I have taken down.  The future plan isto put up a
homebrew 3 element 30M beam at the top of the tower.

On a few opinions, I did not use the Orion mast clamp.  I opted to go with
K7NV's clamp.  Kurt's clamp holds so
well, that when I was aligning the rotator direction and the antenna, I had ONE
bolt in the clamp finger tight and
could not turn the mast.

I use standard rotator cable.  Never had an issue with intermittent pulse
counts.  That could be because I only havea ~ 150 run to the shack.

I was also going to use two thrust bearings, but on a few opinions, I only have
one at the top of the tower.  Nearthe rotator, I have a bearing plate, where if
necessary, I can raise the mast and clamp it in place.

If you decide to use two bearings, they have to be perfectly aligned, or the
assembly will bind.

Some have mentioned water egress into the top of the rotator.   I've never seen
that, but if you decide to use a weatherboot for that, the local home centers
have a "generic vent pipe" piece.  It's got a bunch of "step" sizes for
different sizevent pipe.  I put one over my bearing at the top of the tower.

Never have had any issues with the setup.

Tom, N2SR