Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor faialure

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor faialure
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 11:08:39 -0500
You probably should just replace it with a G-2800DXA.

John KK9A

To:     towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject:        [TowerTalk] Rotor faialure
From:   Mike Reublin NF4L <nf4l@comcast.net>
Date:   Tue, 21 Jul 2015 10:26:27 -0400

The other day, I turned on my G-1000DXA and got no response. The box says 180
degrees, and the antenna is pointed north.

I read open on the wiper and pot wires, and on the motor pair. Applying
12v to
the motor wires did nothing.

I finally noticed the antennae were freewheeling in the wind. I lowered the
tower and see no external signs of failure.  Any speculation on what has
failed
and why? I'm wondering if the mast is centered. When the tower is horizontal,
how does one tell?

The antennas are a 4L Steppir w/30/40 and a 7L 6M beam. The vertical load is
taken by a bearing. The "pin" bolt appears to be intact.

73, Mike NF4L