Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering up a tower

To: ai3q@pa.metrocast.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering up a tower
From: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 08:58:04 -0500 (CDT)
Bill:

     I use a butane soldering iron for such tasks away from commercial power
sources.  Try Amazon.com or a local source.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

On 07/29/15, Bill Feissner wrote:

Having been reading about soldering irons I have a question. Just
recently had to do some soldering about 25 feet up my tower, I had to
run 150 feet of #12 extension cord out and part way up the tower. I was
using a 25 watt iron that gets a tip temp of 750 degrees F. An
occasional breeze would hinder the solder from melting using a conical
tip. I did manage to get the job done but was wondering if the
screwdriver tip and a 1000 degree F tip would have made the job any
easier, retaining more heat when the breeze blew. Any thoughts on this
would be helpful for the next time.
Thanks
Bill, AI3Q