Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Rhn 45 bolts

To: Richard Lightner <dlight@prodigy.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Rhn 45 bolts
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 10:58:55 -0700
"they are very tight" - does that means nuts to bolts or bolts to holes? If nuts, I wonder if you are using HDG nuts with the HDG bolts? The correct nuts are oversize tapped and should easily go on a HDG bolt. Usually, they are tapped after galvanizing so the threads are bare steel. If bolts are too tight to holes, then cleanup the hole Zn flash with a drill bit or better yet a bridge or tapered reamer if you can find one the right size. Split lockwashers have a marginal benefit, Nordlocks are far superior, but I don't think Rohn has even split ones in their bolt kits. You should use the Rohn bolts since regular small diameter HDG bolts are likely less than grade 5. For 1/2" diameter and larger A325 structural grade bolts are available HDG.

Grant KZ1W