Re: [TowerTalk] Grinding hole in thick steel plate?

To: rich@n7tr.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grinding hole in thick steel plate?
From: TexasRF--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 15:38:36 -0400
Hi Rich, be prepared to spend an hour or two per hole as it is a slow
process. I had to enlarge a three inch diameter hole in a 3/8" thick  bearing
plate about .125" last year and it seems it took three or four hours to  do
that.

If you live in or near a large city, you might find a company that does cnc
 flame or plasma cutting. The precision that can be achieved is amazing and
the  cost is dirt cheap (at least here in the Dallas area it is). Perhaps
they can  rework your base.

I can purchase flame cut pieces from them for little more than the raw
material cost from a steel supplier.

Watch out for the metal slivers from the burr. They are like millions of
tiny needles.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 9/7/2015 1:33:46 P.M. Central Daylight Time,