Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Grinding hole in thick steel plate?

To: Rich Hallman - N7TR <rich@n7tr.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Grinding hole in thick steel plate?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 17:39:07 -0700
Rich,

The most available solution is to take it to another machine shop and have them re-bore the holes in the right spot. This can be easily done on a manual mill with a single point boring tool and boring head, since you already have a lead-in hole that is close to true position. A backyard/garage machinist and Bridgeport can do this. Best to use Dykem to color the surface, clamp the parts together for best average fit and carefully scribe the fix. A decent machinist will get it true within 1/32" or better to the scribed arc, since you have a known diameter target.

Grinding out 1/4" x 3/4" will be painfully slow and hard to get straight/perpendicular. Several good carbide burrs and a 1/4" die grinder will set you back more than the hour or two of mill time to do it right.

Grant KZ1W