Re: [TowerTalk] Grinding hole in thick steel plate?

To: rich@n7tr.com,TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grinding hole in thick steel plate?
From: <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 21:56:38 +0000
Rich,

FYI...I used a bi-metal circular hole saw that uses a 1/4"
pilot hole to cut some holes that were over an inch in
diam through some 5/8" hot-rolled steel.  I also cut some
holes that were 7/8" Dia.

I used plenty of oil and kept the drill press at a reasonably
low speed.  I stopped and cleaned out the chips once in
a while with a shop vac.  I drilled from the other size of
the steel plate when I was about 1/2 way through with the
hole saw.

No problems at all and the hole saw is still sharp after
4 of the larger holes were cut....same for the smaller hole
saw.

NO EXCUSE for your machine shop to get it wrong.  They
need to buy you a new plate and start over.

73,
Charlie, N0TT