Re: [TowerTalk] homebrew 1:1 current balun

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] homebrew 1:1 current balun
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 19:43:20 -0500
I have 6 turns of LMR-400 through a stack of 5 2.4" cores. I'm pretty sure I could get another turn using a bit of wire pulling soap / lube. Using RG-400 Teflon dielectric and silver plated braid should easily double the number of turns. http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/AntennaFeed1.htm The perspective from the photo doesn't show how the coax loops up and then down to the insulator. The braid and center conductor are thoroughly waterproofed to prevent the wicking of moisture, plus any that got in would need to go up hill for several inches.

I prefer to just make the choke part of the feed line. You do need to figure the length of coax per turn, but by threading the coax through the cores you have less worry about the choke supporting the feed line. Using RG-400, requires that the feed line be supported, complicating the construction a bit. Using the DX Engineering photo of the interior of their choke gives some good pointers on strong construction.

Wait a minute!
When looking at the photo, I realized I have 7 turns, not 6. There are 6 loops visible + 1 for the pass through to the antenna. According to pages 39 and 40 of the tutorial, I should have about 7,500 ohms isolation although Jim came up with a different number. That antenna can be easily raised and lowered so I'm thinking of two approaches. A binocular approach with 8 cores (2 sets of 4 cores) and 7 turns. That arrangement makes it much easier to get 7 passes through the cores and very close spacing on the turns.

I also have a stack of 7 cores with 1/8th in spacing, using Lexan spacers that can be put into a box like the DX engineering assembly.

Will I get it done?  Only time will tell.

73

Roger  (K8RI)