[TowerTalk] homebrew 1:1 current balun

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] homebrew 1:1 current balun
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 09:15:08 -0800
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 08:21:07 -0800
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] homebrew 1:1 current balun

On 12/2/15 7:30 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:
> Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 15:11:19 -0800
>

> Have you considered using a 2.4" toroid core(s) and running multiple
> turns of the coax through it.  I can get about 10-12 turns of 1/4"
> diameter coax (RG58 type) through those cores. I think you can get 3-5
> turns of 0.405" coax (RG213 type) through it.
>
> There's a fairly decent cookbook for this kind of thing, with all the
> measurements on actual chokes, etc. in Chapter 7 of
> http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf
>
> ##  You can easily get  7 turns of  RG-213U  through 2.4 inch OD  cores.
> Ditto  with RG-393.
> To make for a more compact balun assy,  3-8 cores can be positioned  on
> either side, like
> binocular fashion, then tightly wound...if using  RG-213U  or   RG-393.

if there's no connector on the coax<grin>

##  Nobody seems to be installing female coax connectors these days on
ants...IE:
f12, etc, etc.   That being said, the entire compact mess goes inside a water
proof nema
box, with a gasketed lid, and SS hinges.   Then a 7-16  din connector used on
the main
coax side.   Standoffs used on the balanced side.   But you are correct,  if
PL-259s are used,
I think you can get perhaps 3-4 turns through..maybe 5.

Jim   VE7RF