Re: [TowerTalk] WTB Rohn 25G tower insulator

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] WTB Rohn 25G tower insulator
From: Andre VanWyk via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 10:38:25 -0600
This is very interesting stuff Patrick. Thanks for sharing.
73's
NJ0F

-----Original Message----- From: Patrick Greenlee Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 8:12 AM To: towertalk@contesting.com Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] WTB Rohn 25G tower insulator

For those among us not initiated in oil field terminology... Sucker rods are the vertical tension members connecting the Texas Grasshoppers (Pumpjack) to the underground pump. These are fitted with threaded terminations so that several can be placed in series. Steel is a typical material but fiberglass is also used. This from Wikipedia ==> "Sucker rods are also commonly available made of fiberglass in 37 1/2 foot lengths and diameters of 3/4, 7/8, 1, and 1 1/4 inch. These are terminated in metallic threaded ends, female at one end and male at the other."

These fiberglass rods are very strong, available inexpensively on the used market (in areas with oil fields such as OKC and Midland Texas), and can be used for various antenna parts including insulators.

This will give the engineering specs ==> http://www.fiberglasssuckerrods.com/technical-data.html

The threaded terminations make it easy to transition to steel should that be desired or to connect rods in series, as when used for their original purpose. One of these "pulltruded" fiberglass rods cut into several shorter lengths could be used to insulate a tower. For example, groups of these could be used for each tower leg.

The balun in my OCF dipole (90ft X 180ft) is supported by a vertical fiberglass sucker rod and in turn supports the OCF dipole wires. I have a 2 3/8 inch pipe 24 ft long vertical lashed to a small oak tree. the sucker rod protrudes from the top of the pipe about another 18 ft. This allows the vertical component of the OCF dipole (Carolina Windom) to not run parallel to a conductor.

I can buy these 37.5 foot units 1 inch diameter in single lots at $20 and in volume they go for $8 but shipping is the sticking point for large quantities out of the Midland Texas area (where my OKC source gets theirs.)

These are cut into lengths and used as fence posts that never rust or rot. These rods could be used for various applications where strong non-conductive structure is needed.

Patrick        NJ5G