Re: [TowerTalk] WTB Rohn 25G tower insulator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] WTB Rohn 25G tower insulator
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 13:46:31 -0600
One possibility... The Hy-Gain Hy-Tower multi-band vertical comes with three insulators that are used to insulate the base of the antenna from the rest of the mounting structure which is set in a cubic yard of concrete. These insulators may be ordered separately as parts.

The Hy-tower is 24 ft of steel lattice tower topped by decreasing diameters of aluminum tubing going up to about 52 ft above the base.

If you think the insulators are not strong enough then use two or more per leg, not just the one. If you are at all handy in DIY I think you could take a look at the manual for this antenna (available as PDF download from Hy-Gain), order the parts you need, and successfully insulate your tower.

I redesigned their mount from aluminum to steel and used the stock insulators with no issues. Tower base is mounted about 22 ft above ground (on top of an all metal barn) and has a 4-way Phillystran guy setup at the 24 ft level. May be seen on my QRZ page.

Patrick        NJ5G