Re: [TowerTalk] Buried section base...and lightning protection.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Buried section base...and lightning protection.
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 19:38:24 -0500
Don't forget, to provide proper drainage for the buried tower section set in concrete, such as about 6" of pea gravel or crushed rock.in the bottom of the hole.

Mechanically, the base of a guyed tower only does two things. It keeps the tower from sinking farther into the ground and it prevents the tower base from moving sideways. For many years, ROHN sold a "dirt base" for the 20 and 25G. In "good soil", no concrete was used for 50 to 60 ft guyed 25G towers.

I assume ROHN stopped selling the dirt base because of of builders misuse in poor soil and liability. I've used dirt bases on small towers for nearly 50 years, in good soil with no failures. Some of those held 5L 20 meter KLM mono-banders

Lightening protection is a different animal. The concrete presents a solid mechanical base and serves as a UFER ground. Still in a dry, non conductive soil, the small UFER ground will likely be insufficient, but a lot better than the tower base with 3 ground rods.

73

Roger  (K8RI)