Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Buried section base...and lightning protectio

To: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>, AA6DX - Mark <aa6dx@arrl.net>, "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Buried section base...and lightning protection.
From: Chris Wynn via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 02:21:41 +0000 (UTC)
This thread reminds me of my first tower when I was in college.  A close friend
had taken down an older Rohn 25 tower.  He gave it to me and told me to
repaint, which I did.  Back in college, I barely had enough money for books,
much less concrete.  Anyway, after saving up for what seemed like forever, I
finally dug the hole, threw the tower in, tied the tower to some rebar with old
coat hangers, and poured.
After a week of curing, I invited everyone over to help me put it up.
Unfortunately, after we all got ready to stack, we discovered that I had
cemented the wrong side of the tower into the concrete--upside down!  I almost
threw in the towel at that point and gave up on ham radio!
Using my redneck ingenuity and my short stay at GA Tech, I machined metal pins
to reverse the section.  I subsequently erected the tower with no problems
whatsoever.  This past summer while erecting tower number two at my present
QTH, I ran across those metal pins that I used.  Such a small bump in the road
at that time, but back then, it seemed like a game changer!
Good luck!
Chris WynnN4XFASEDXCARRL LIFE MEMBER Christopher L. Wynn
Attorney-at-Law
Christopher L. Wynn, ESQ., P.C.
8473 Earl D. Lee, Suite 300
Douglasville, Ga., 30134