Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Buried section base...and lightning protectio

To: AA6DX - Mark <aa6dx@arrl.net>, john@kk9a.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Buried section base...and lightning protection.
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 12:56:44 -0800
For a guyed tower not much of a base is needed, only enough square feet to be below the soil bearing limit at max wind load and then enough to not slide from the force created when the tower bends. When I think about a pier base which induces no bending moment in base section, the only lateral force is the sine(angle of tilt) x total vertical load. Angle of tilt is a very small number of degrees so there isn't much horizontal force. For a buried base, there are overturning forces in the base which are beyond my pay grade to calculate.

I think the Rohn larger & deeper base footings are designed to insure the freestanding tower is stable with the construction loads before the first guys are attached. Or work is stopped due to the approaching thunderstorm. At 35' on R25 before the first guys are attached is an informative experience.

My PE engineered base for 140' of Rohn 65 is 4x4x2' and the soil pressure is less than me standing on one foot. We installed temporary guys after 30' of tower was up as first guys were at 60'.

Grant KZ1W