Re: [TowerTalk] ground rods and angle...

To: Chris <EZRhino@fastmovers.biz>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ground rods and angle...
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 02:50:28 -0500
Cost of concrete: Where you are located, how much you get, and when you buy make all the difference. Late last spring after the thaw, but before we could get trucks on the yard, let alone concrete trucks, I paid IIRC $111 or $120 per sq yd of 4000 psi for 5 cu yds. plus the manual labor. There was no delivery charge, but two guys digging the hole, with 4 working on the pour ( they ran over 100 feet with wheelbarrows loaded with concrete, cost more than the concrete) They really did run too with those heavy loads. By the time we finished the single wheel was beginning to leave quite a depression, even though they avoided running in the same track. <:-) Even then with only 5 yds (give or take), my asphalt driveway with a good sand and gravel base suffered damage. If you have a couple of pickup trucks and load them your selves, it's even cheaper, but more labor. Compared to heavy ground cable as required by the NEC, the price is relatively cheap. Getting small loads of sand and gravel delivered, while renting a mixer should cut the cost in half. You are trading expense for manual labor, although mixing in a mixer is not a lot of work. One guy shovels sand, one shovels gravel, and a third adds a number of shovels of bagged cement. If you know the ratios (which are easy to find), it goes fast and tales little elbow grease. In days long gone bu, I've helped pour a lot of concrete like that out of a mixer including foundations and floors for milking parlors. Like some math, that would be far beyond my present abilities.

As Patric mentioned he has the equipment. Mixing the concrete is relatively inexpensive. "I'd guess" about a third to a quarter of the cost of delivered concrete. If my calculations are correct, even at $200 per yard, you could do 6, 10" holes at $33 each, but likely fewer than half the rods required.. I t wouldn't take many of those to surpass a big network of rods and copper cable. In many areas, 6' deep might be acceptable.

Unless you have money to burn, doing this kind of ground system is likely to be more for the do it your selfer, but not those with few mechanical abilities..

73

Roger (K8RI)