Re: [TowerTalk] ground rods and angle...

To: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ground rods and angle...
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 09:20:22 -0800
I don't think the Erico Ground Enhancement Material (GEM) is betonite based, given the dark black color. I suspect a conductive carbon filler of some sort, coke byproducts were mentioned in one article I skimmed. Betonite shrinks on drying so perhaps it was the "competitive material" in the Erico video.

Betonite has the same conductivity sensitivity to moisture as concrete, so it seems like a stretch to expect it to improve concrete conductivity much when dry. If the concrete stays moist then the betonite isn't needed. As in a Ufer ground. This article has readable information http://www.electrochemsci.org/papers/vol8/80911429.pdf although the "dried out" condition of concrete with betonite filler is not adequately addressed.

Fly ash added to concrete is primarily to make "greener" concrete - recycle a waste material and improve the concrete properties. http://www.ashgroveresources.com/showcase4.html I read the previously referenced article re fly ash and conclude that "F Grade" fly ash with high carbon content makes negligible improvement in concrete conductivity without additional carbon fibers added to the mix.

After perusing some of the literature, it seems to me that if a GEM is required to achieve adequate grounding then use a commercial product that has predictable results rather than some ad hoc backyard chemistry.

There are a lot of articles about carbon fiber conductive concrete if you google it, but that sounds like an expensive additive and difficult to source. Snow melt seems to be a target application as well as EMI shielding of structures.

Grant KZ1W